Thursday, July 22, 2010

Warm Potato Salad - Nigella Express


One of the dishes I made for this lunch with friends - I liked the recipe as soon as I saw it in the book Nigella Express - the combination of bacon, mustard and potatoes seemed like a great idea. It helped though that I had bacon at home - its not something I usually have at home.

I used small sized potatoes, but since these were not new potatoes (which have very thin skins), I peeled them after boiling and halving them. I used spring onions instead of scallions and used the greens as a garnish.

I thought that the bacon would make the dish salty and so went easy on the salt, but it turned out a tad on the lower side. Apparently, the crisper the bacon is fried, the saltier it gets - so next time crisper is the way to go. This is comfort food - the lovely taste of potatoes enveloped in the slightly creamy dressing cut with the sharpness of mustard.....

And there will definitely be a next time - I want to try this with a lovely vinaigrette of vinegar, mustard and pine nuts I saw somewhere. Tossed with warm potatoes and bits of spinach - bet it would be wonderful!



Warm Potato Salad


3/4 kg small/baby potatoes
6 spring onions thinly sliced, greens reserved
1 tbsp olive oil
4 slices bacon
2 tsp white wine vinegar
2 tbsp mustard (Colemans)

1. Cook the potatoes with skin in salted water till cooked - 20-25 minutes. Cool, peel and cut in half.
2. Heat oil in a pan and cook the bacon until crisp. Remove and keep aside.
3. In the same pan, saute the onions for about 2 minutes and remove from flame.
4. Add the vinegar and mustard and then the potatoes and mix together. Transfer to a serving bowl.
5. Just before serving, crumble the bacon and mix into the salad reserving some for garnish on top along with the onion greens.

7 comments:

Archana said...

Nice...potato salads are always such a great idea...you seem to be having a lot of 'lunch with friends' these days...envy u girl, hate my boring lonely life :(

nina said...

mmm will def try when rajani of eatwritethink is with me...hey please send me or post but send me your karela and coconut curry and drumstick-brinjal pretty puhlease - MISS the meals [and company] in reverse order ;) chez toi

nina said...

mmm will def try when rajani of eatwritethink is with me...hey please send me or post but send me your karela and coconut curry and drumstick-brinjal pretty puhlease - MISS the meals [and company] in reverse order ;) chez toi

Miri said...

Arch - that was just one lunch - the pudding, fish curry and potato salad are all from the same menu! :) See, now its not that exciting is it!

And btw, Dalhi is only a hop, skip and jump away! :)

Miri said...

Why only with company? you can make it sans bacon and it would be great with some green beans or spinach!

And yes, will do...miss ya!!

Sayantani Mahapatra Mudi said...

I make an almost similar salad with potato, boiled egg, mustard. tastes great.
this one looks great as well love this idea of keeping the potatoes with skin.

Bong Mom said...

Mmmmmmm... these are the kind of salads I can live on :)