Monday, June 16, 2008

Nupur's Goan Egg Curry


The monsoon has set in 2 weeks earlier in Delhi and we are enjoying some glorious weather - temperatures in the 30s and even late 20s (celsius) and gentle morning showers - nothing like the furious monsoons I am used to in Mumbai.

With weather like this, it's quite normal for thoughts on a lazy Sunday morning to stray to some exciting food to eat. None 0f the light food we have been sticking to for the summer days, what we need is some spicy, chatpata food.

Egg curry is one of our favourite dishes and I love trying out new versions - always searching for the "perfect egg curry". Looks like I have found it now!

Nupur of One Hot Stove was one of the first food bloggers I came across and at that time her wonderful event A to Z of Marathi dishes was on and that's how I stumbled upon the wonderful world of food blogging! Each of the dishes on Nupur's blog is an individual effort to explore the wonderful world of food. Traditional Indian dishes are made simple and easy to understand while newer cuisines are also tried out and adapted with her usual eagerness to experiment and learn. The recipes are simple and she always talks to her readers - talking down is just not her style!

But behind that modest person, lies someone who has the gifted knack of getting her culinary creations just right. Whether its lip smacking street food like pav bhaji, a "crowd pleaser" like vegetable biryani (this is one dish which I have made on several occasions when we have had people over and its never failed to delight!), Perfect Sabudana or the light as air Vietnamese Summer Rolls, Nupur has been a prolific blogger with a wide variety of dishes on her blog and I am very thankful that not only does she take the time and effort to figure out the best way to make certain dishes, she then comes back and shares it with us!

So when I saw this delicious egg curry she posted for this month's edition of Click, I just knew I had to try it. I didn't have the Goan fish curry masala, so I ground my own from an approximation of what she suggested, using red chillies, coriander seeds, black peppercorns, coconut and garlic. Nupur used coconut milk and since I was using grated coconut I ground the paste really really smooth to make up for that ; while the final outcome may have been a little different from what she had made I must say its by far the most delicious egg curry we have had!

Definitely a keeper of a recipe and I am sending it in to the Tried and Tasted June event being hosted by dear Zlamushka of Burnt Mouth. This is a new event where every month one blog is chosen to be "Tried and Tasted" by trying out recipes.

I also made the Onion Cheese Kulcha, cut down the cheese in it and added a potato in the filling - it was absolutely delicious and made for a wonderful meal paired with the egg curry. Unfortunately, no pics because the dough took a long time to rise in this cool weather and by the time it was baked in the oven we were too hungry to wait and just dug into these hot, filling and absolutely flavourful breads!

5 comments:

Nupur said...

Miri, I discovered your blog only recently but have absolutely enjoyed it ever since! Thank you for all your sweet words!
I have to say- with the freshly ground masala and the fresh coconut milk, your version is a lot tastier than mine :)

sra said...

Miri, that's one good-looking dish! I am very lazy to cook with coconut but I've just been given a few and am looking for recipes where I don't have to grate or grind - ask for near impossible :)

Finla said...

Egg curry looks so good.
I have seen this in Nupur place .

FH said...

Mmm...!! Love the gravy!:)

zlamushka said...

miri, wow, you really like cooking from One Hot Stove. Fantastic job, thanks. Would you have the pictures of other dishes you made? I d love to post all of them.