Saturday, May 24, 2008

Pasta tossed with Coriander and Walnut Pesto


This post by dear Mansi of Fun and Food really set me thinking. Though I had known for sometime now that Pesto needn't contain only Basil, I had never tried making it with any other ingredient. Basil isn't very easy to get around here (except the more pungent Holy Basil variety - tulsi).

I made the Coriander Walnut Pesto recipe with a few changes to it. I didn't want it as a dip though but in some form for dinner. So, I boiled some pasta and tossed the pesto in and mixed in some halved cherry tomatoes. Served it warm with some pumpkin soup and a roasted mushroom salad for a delicious meal.

I also had some leftover pasta cold for lunch the next day and it tasted great with the pasta taking on the pesto flavours completely.

There was some leftover pesto which I added to a bread recipe I was making - and voila! Pesto Yoghurt Bread! Thanks for the recipe Mansi!

Pasta tossed with Coriander and Walnut Pesto


Ingredients:

Pesto:

Coriander leaves - 2 cups washed and chopped
Walnut, lightly toasted and skin removed - 1/3 cup
Sweet corn kernels - 1/2 cup
Green chillies - 2-3 depending on heat level
Olive oil - 4 tbsp
salt to taste
Lemon juice - 1 tbsp

Pasta:

Macaroni or Spaghetti - 1.5 cups
Cherry tomatoes washed and halved - 1 cup
salt to taste
Olive oil - 1 tbsp
Crushed Black pepper - 1 tsp
Parmesan cheese - 1/4 cup
Method:

1. Bring enough water with salt and a tsp of the olive oi in a large vesse, to a boil. Add the pasta and cook for about 8-10 minutes; the pasta should not be overcooked but remain al dente (with a bit of bite to it).
2, Drain the water and rinse under cold water for a minute to stop it cooking in its own heat. Toss with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and keep aside.
3. Meanwhile, blend all the ingredients for the pesto together, adding the olive oil a tablespoon at a time till they come together in a thick paste.
4. Gently toss the warm pasta with the pesto, crushed black pepper and the cherry tomatoes till well combined, check seasoning and adjust salt if needed. Sprinkle the parmesan cheese on top and serve immediately.



9 comments:

Finla said...

Pasta looks delicious.
I too have never tried them with corriander.

Cham said...

So fresh & tasty ur pasta, got 2 try ur pesto with cilantro and walnut :)

Arundathi said...

that looks oh so good... that's what we're having for dinner!

Mansi said...

wow, I'm happy you loved it Miri! that pasta sure looks delicious, and boy, the idea about pesto-bread, brilliant!:)

thanks for trying and testifying my recipe gal:) hope you can send in something for my monthly mingle:)

ns said...

pesto recipe is fabulous! it really IS a pain trying to get basil...i used a wee bit of garlic too more out of habit - you're a genius!

Miri said...

Thanks Happy Cook,Arundhati and Cham!

Mansi - thank YOU for the idea! Im out of town now, but hopefully can come back and do something for the event in time!

Thanks Nina - garlic is a good idea!

FH said...

I love Walnut Pesto, look gorgeous Miri!:)

Cynthia said...

I love cilantro and will definitely make a pesto with it soon. Your pasta dish looks so comforting.

Laavanya said...

I tried making pesto with coriander too and was very pleased.. corn is a twist I hadn't thought of though - pasta looks good Miri.